Updated: 06/01/2022 197 KB

Special Educational Needs and Disability


If you have any concerns about the progress your child is making you should first speak to the class teacher.

The name of the Inclusion Manager / Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator is Mrs Howarth (01706 341363) who is happy to discuss any concerns you may have.


Special Educational Needs and Disability

Information Report

This information report tells you what we will provide for your child if they are identified as having Special Educational Needs or Disability (SEN&D) in school.

In line with the SEN Code of Practice schools are required to publish their information report on their website.

How the information report relates to our School Ethos:

At Belfield all children are a unique part of our school community and are treated equally and fairly. We strive to create the best possible learning opportunities for all our children, so that they can achieve higher than many thought possible.

We support those children who struggle with learning & behaviour and also those for who learning comes easily. We challenge all our children to be the best they can.

We are realistic and understand that some children may need extra support to reach these high aspirations.


How we identify individual special educational needs and disability.

When pupils have identified SEN&D before they start at Belfield Community School, we will work with the people who already know them and use the information they give us to help give your child the best possible support.

If you think your child has special educational needs we will discuss this with you and check it out.  We will share with you what we find out and will work together to help support your child.

If our staff think that your child has special educational needs this may be because your child is not making as much progress as other pupils.  We will observe your child and try to find out what is causing them problems.  We may from time to time use tests and assessments so we can find out exactly what your child can and cannot do.

How we involve pupils and their parents or carers in identifying SEN

We aim to be child and family centered and try to work together to make the right choices to suit your child.  We will seek your permission to refer to other agencies and we ask that information you receive is shared in school.

When we assess SEN we will ask you to share information about what your child is like at home and where possible we will try to work together to help with any difficulties your child is having outside school.

If your child needs significant support in school we will use an Individual Education Plan or a Provision map to identify small targets to help your child to make progress.  If other agencies are involved we will take into account their advice.

How we adapt the curriculum so that we meet SEN.

All teachers are expected to provide learning experiences that suit the needs of every child.  This is called differentiation.

If your child needs something different to help them succeed then we have lots of different programmes that we use.

To support reading and writing we use direct Phonics, Rapid writing and Read Write inc.  We also design programmes to support individual targets.

We understand how important speaking skills are and use Speech Link to assess the language skills of all children as they enter school and to provide appropriate support.

We deliver many different intervention programmes to help children make progress.  Most of our teaching assistants have received high quality training through Edge Hill University to deliver research based intervention programmes.  These include First Class @ Number, First Class @ Writing, Project X Code and Success @ Arithmetic.

We have recently purchased the IDL programme to support children identified as dyslexic or having dyslexic type difficulties.

How we modify teaching approaches.

All staff are regularly trained in a variety of approaches to suit the needs of individual pupils.  We have a wide range of experience in teaching and supporting pupils with Autism Spectrum Condition, Specific Learning Difficulties (including Dyslexia), Speech, Language and Communication Needs and Social and Emotional Needs (including Behaviour difficulties).  We change the way we teach to try to suit the needs of individuals and accept that each child is unique and what works for one child will not always work for another.

From time to time pupils will need to be supported in small groups or on a 1:1 basis.  This support is often carried out in the classroom or outside the classroom to provide a quiet working area.

How we assess pupil progress and how we review this progress.

National Curriculum levels are no longer used and we now assess against age related expectations.  If a child is not working within their year group expectations we use targets from the previous years to provide targets.  We sometimes use P scales and PIVATS  / Cherry Tree Assessments to assess progress in small steps.

Pupil progress meetings are held each term where the progress of all children is discussed.  Staff work together to plan programmes that will support those pupils with SEN.

We have Parent’s Evenings twice a year and also hold parent drop in sessions where you can come along and see what your child does in class.  You are welcome to make an appointment at any time to discuss your child’s progress.

What extra support we bring in to help us meet children’s needs.

We have support form specialist teachers (through Rochdale Additional Needs Service – RANS) who support staff in helping children with a variety of needs for example Social and Communication Needs, Autistic Spectrum Condition and Hearing Impairment.

We try to work closely with Speech and Language Therapy services to deliver programmes of care for your child.  Sometimes specialist therapists come into school to work with staff to train them in delivering individual programmes.  In school we have a Teaching Assistant who works with certain pupils who have complex speech and language difficulties.

If we require extra support we can refer your child to the Educational Psychologist who helps us to provide the best support for your child.  The Educational Psychologist will also carry out addition assessments to see what your child can and cannot do.

We often refer children to Healthy Young Minds (previously CAHMs) for assessment and support.

If your child needs it, we can access support from physiotherapy and occupational therapy to support specific needs.

At Belfield Community School we pride ourselves on the positive relationships we have with outside agencies and believe their expertise is essential to provide the best possible support for all children.  Together we review the pupil’s progress and agree next steps for learning. 

What other activities are available for pupils with SEN.

We have lots of different after school activities that can be accessed by all pupils.  If needed we will provide support to ensure equal access.

We regularly go on school trips and pupils with SEN&D are always included.  We choose visits that are accessible to all.

Rochdale offer many out of school activities for pupils with SEN&D.  A full list of these can be found on the link below.  If you require any further information please contact Mrs. Howarth (01706 341 363)

How we support pupils in their transition into our school and when they leave us.

When children start at our school we will meet with you and your child to get to know you better. 

Staff in the Reception classes carry out home visits before your child starts school giving you the time to tell us everything you think we need to know.

When choosing your child’s next school we can provide support and advice and on occasion we will visit the school with you.

When your child leaves us we will work together with their next school to inform them of what level your child is working at and what helps them learn.

Where you can get extra support. - Parents Carers voice: 

But first, who are we?

Rochdale Parent Carers Voice is a local volunteer group of people who care for children and young people with additional needs and disabilities. We support 300+ families in Rochdale Borough and work with health professionals to make sure decisions have SEND children at the heart of what they do. We also represent families by working with the Local Authority to shape national and local government policy to find more visit





The Our Rochdale service directory lists organisations that may be able to give extra support and information.  This is part of the Local Authority’s Local Offer gives information and advice on what help is available for children and young people with SEN and/or a disability and their families.

SENDiass (Special Educational Needs Disability Information Advice Support Service) provides free confidential and impartial information, advice and support to disabled children and young people aged 0-25, those that have or may have special educational needs, and their parents.

What to do if you are not satisfied with what is happening

Your first point of contact is always the person responsible – this may be the class teacher; the SENCo or the headteacher. Explain your concerns to them first. If you are not satisfied that your concern has been addressed speak to the head teacher then ask for the school governors representative.

SENCo/Inclusion Manager – Mrs. Claire Howarth

Support can also be provided by SENDiass – See link above.


Updated: 16/02/2024 68 KB
Updated: 23/03/2022 93 KB